Approved Date: December 2018
Approved By: Full Governors
Review Date: December 2019
At Iqra Highschool we respect and value all children and are committed to providing a caring, friendly and safe environment for all our pupils so they can learn, in a relaxed and secure atmosphere. We believe every pupil should be able to participate in all our activities in an enjoyable and safe environment and be protected from harm. This is the responsibility of every adult employed by, or invited to deliver services at Iqra Highschool. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard all who access our site and promote the welfare of all our pupils by protecting them from physical, sexual and emotional abuse, neglect and bullying.
Governance at Iqra Highschool recognises the use of its ICT and communications facilities as an important resource for teaching, learning and personal development and as an essential aid to business efficiency. It actively encourages staff to take full advantage of the potential for ICT and communications systems to enhance development in all areas of the curriculum and administration. It is also recognised by governance that along with these benefits there are also responsibilities, especially for ensuring that pupils are protected from contact with inappropriate material.
In addition to their normal access to ICT and communications systems for work-related purposes, governance permits staff limited reasonable personal use of ICT equipment and e-mail and internet facilities during their own time subject to such use:
1. not depriving pupils of the use of the equipment and / or
2. not interfering with the proper performance of the staff member’s duties
Whilst our ICT systems may be used for both work-related and for sole personal use, the governance expects use of this equipment for any purpose to be appropriate, courteous and consistent with the expectations of governance at all times.
This policy document is issued to all staff before they are provided with laptops, tablets, cameras, USB / portable hard drive devices, mobile phones and passwords giving access to the ICT network.
This policy covers the use by staff of any issued ICT and communications equipment, examples of which include:
• Laptops, tablets and personal computers; • ICT network facilities; • Personal digital organisers and handheld devices; • Mobile phones and phone / computing hybrid devices; • USB keys and other physical and on-line storage devices; • Image data capture and storage devices including cameras, camera phones and video equipment.
This list is not exhaustive.
The policy covers the use of all ICT and communications equipment provided for work purposes and equipment which is on loan to staff for their sole personal use.
The use of Iqra Highschool ICT and Communications Facilities
Use of ICT Equipment
Staff who use our ICT and communications systems:
• Must use it responsibly;
• Must keep it safe;
• Must not share and treat as confidential any passwords provided to allow access to ICT equipment and / or beyond firewall protection boundaries;
• Must report any known breach of password confidentiality to a member of SLT or ICT Coordinator as soon as possible;
• Must report known breaches of this policy, including any inappropriate images or other material which may be discovered on our ICT systems;
• Must report any vulnerabilities affecting child protection/safeguarding in our ICT and communications systems;
• Should understand and recognise the risk posed by the use of technology, including the internet, in radicalisation and extremism. Staff will adhere to our strategies to ensure pupils understand such risks and know how to keep themselves safe;
• Must not install software on equipment issued, including freeware and shareware, unless authorised to do so by the ICT Co-ordinator;
• Must adhere to network monitoring and not attempt to bypass our restrictions on internet access;
• Must comply with any ICT security procedures governing the use of systems, including antivirus measures;
• Must ensure that it is used in compliance with this policy.
Any equipment provided to a member of staff is provided for their sole personal use. Use of the equipment by family or friends is not permitted and any misuse of the equipment by unauthorised users will be the responsibility of the staff member.
Whilst it is not possible to cover all eventualities, the following information is published to guide staff on the expectations of governance. Any breaches of this policy or operation of issued equipment outside statutory legal compliance may be grounds for disciplinary action being taken.
E-mail and Internet and Communications systems usage
The following use of our ICT system is strictly prohibited and may amount to gross misconduct. (This could result in dismissal):
1. To make, to gain access to, or for the publication and distribution of inappropriate sexual material, including text and / or images, or other material that would tend to deprave or corrupt those likely to read or see it;
2. To make, to gain access to, and / or for the publication and distribution of material promoting homophobia or racial or religious hatred;
3. For the purpose of bullying or harassment, or in connection with discrimination or denigration on the grounds of gender, race, religious, disability, age or sexual orientation;
4. For the publication and / or distribution of libellous statements or material which defames or degrades others;
5. For the publication of material that defames, denigrates or brings into disrepute the organisation and / or its staff and pupils;
6. For the publication and distribution of personal data without authorisation, consent or justification;
7. Where the content of the e-mail correspondence is unlawful or in pursuance of an unlawful activity, including unlawful discrimination;
8. To participate in on-line gambling;
9. Where the use infringes copyright law;
10. To gain unauthorised access to internal or external computer systems (commonly known as hacking);
11. To create or deliberately distribute ICT or communications systems “malware”, including viruses, worms, etc;
12. To record or monitor telephone or e-mail communications without the express approval of governance. In no case will such recording or monitoring be permitted unless it has been established for that such action is in full compliance with all relevant legislation and regulations. (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000- “Ancillary to their provision of ICT facilities the Governing Body asserts the employer’s right to monitor and inspect the use by staff of any computer (including e-mails) or telephonic communications systems and will do so where there are grounds for suspecting that such facilities are being, or may have been, misused.”)
13. To enable or assist others to breach governance expectations as set out in this policy.
Additionally, the following uses of our ICT facilities are not permitted and could lead to disciplinary action being taken:
1. For participation in “chain” e-mail correspondence (including forwarding hoax virus warnings);
2. In pursuance of personal business or financial interests, or political activities (excluding the legitimate activities of recognised trade unions);
3. To access ICT facilities by using another person’s password, or to post anonymous messages or forge e-mail messages using another person’s identity.
Note: The above restrictions apply to the use of phones, e-mails, text messaging, internet chat rooms, blogs, and personal websites (including personal entries on social networks e.g. MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc).
Our ICT network firewall is set up to block any unwanted activity and is monitored by our external ICT team using Sonic Firewall on a weekly basis or as needed. Feedback of ongoing monitoring will be given to the governors termly through the Headteacher’s report. To avoid breaches of safety, USB and external devices not permitted for use on internal network or systems.
Policy and Guidance on Iqra Highschool use of ICT and Communications Systems
PART 1: to be retained by staff member
This declaration refers to governance policy and guidance on the use ICT and communications systems and confirms that you have been provided with a copy and that you have agreed to follow it.
All employees, supply agency staff and, where appropriate, consultants, multi-agency staff, visitors, contractors, students and volunteers are required to familiarise themselves with the contents of the policy on the use of ICT systems and sign the following declaration.
You should sign two copies of this document; this copy to be retained by you. The second copy is to be detached and will be placed in your personnel file.
I confirm that I have been provided with a copy of the policy and guidelines on the use of the issued ICT and communications systems and I agree to the terms and conditions specified therein. I confirm that I am aware that all my electronic communications including emails and website searches may be monitored and that this applies if I am working from home on issued equipment or networks.
Signed: …………………………………………… Name: ……………………………………………
Position Held: ………………………………….. Date: ………………………………………………
Acceptable Use Agreement: Students
- I will only use ICT systems in school, including the internet, email, digital video, and mobile technologies for school purposes
- I will not download or install software on school technologies
- I will only log on to the school network, other systems and resources with my own user name and password
- I will follow the school’s ICT security system and not reveal my passwords to anyone and change them regularly.
- I will only use my school email address
- I will make sure that all ICT communications with students, teachers or others is responsible and sensible
- I will be responsible for my behaviour when using the Internet. This includes resources I access and the language I use
- I will not browse, download, upload or forward material that could be considered offensive or illegal. If I accidentally come across any such material I will report it immediately to my teacher
- I will not give out any personal information such as name, phone number or address. I will not arrange to meet someone unless this is part of a school project approved by my teacher
- I am aware that when I take images of students and/or staff, that I must only store and use these for school purposes in line with school policy and must never distribute these outside the school network without the permission of all parties involved. This includes school breaks and all occasions when I am in school uniform or when otherwise representing the school
- I will ensure that my online activity, both in school and outside school, will not cause my school, the staff, students or others distress or bring the school community into disrepute, including through uploads of images, video, sounds or texts
- I will support the school approach to online safety and not upload or add any images, video, sounds or text that could upset any member of the school community
- I will respect the privacy and ownership of others’ work on-line at all times
- I will not attempt to bypass the internet filtering system
- I understand that all my use of the Internet and other related technologies can be monitored and logged and can be made available to my teachers
- I understand that these rules are designed to keep me safe and that if they are not followed, school sanctions will be applied and my parent/carer may be contacted
- I will not bring a Smart Watch to school because I am not permitted to wear one during the school day
- I will not sign up to online services until I am old enough to do so
- I understand that Iqra Highschool has an ICT network firewall is set up to block any unwanted activity and is monitored by our external ICT team on a weekly basis or as needed.
ICT including the internet, email, mobile technologies and online resources have become an important part of learning in our school. We expect all students to be safe and responsible when using any ICT. It is essential that students are aware of eSafety and know how to stay safe when using any ICT.
Students are expected to read and discuss this agreement with their parent/carer and then to sign and follow the terms of the agreement. Any concerns or explanation can be discussed with Deputy Headteacher.
Please return the bottom section of this form which will be kept on record at the school
Parent/ carer and student signature
We have discussed this document with……………………………………………………………(child’s name) and we agree to follow the eSafety rules and to support the safe use of ICT at Iqra High School.
Parent/ Carer Signature …….………………….…………………………..
Form …………………………………. Date ………………………………